I get it!  No attorney will challenge the wisdom of the jury or rehash the trial transcripts like I have done for the last 8+ years.  Surely some medical people can see the decision of the medical examiner was wrong.   You can't expect the jury to weigh the medical facts for accuracy. 

     My husband had a stroke driving home from Ventura when he was 73.  How many times are clots the factor in throes of death? Not eliminating urine from the body properly will cause sepsis shock.  Medical facts do not compute to capital murder.

     Dr. Robert Bayardo made bad decisions and put Kathy Lee Henderson on death row for the death of her son.  Michael Morton and Rodney Reed were sent to prison for Dr. Bayardo's errors.  Their cases were all overturned.  Grits for Breakfast dated 11-13-2013 dfisher wrote, "I know more about Bayardo than most anyone and you didn't need to have evidence of facts to get him to lie, that came very naturally to him."

     Since NO lawyer, judge, or court will right this misjudgment, is there a medical doctor, forensic pathologist, or medical examiner that performs autopsies available to challenge Dr. Bayardo's findings?  Does the rules of autopsies demand a review of medical records especially since Steven Beard died in a hospital?

     If the first premise is WRONG, the whole trial is WRONG!  Dr. Robert Bayardo, medical examiner's decision was, Steven Beard died of pulmonary embolus created by his inactivity after the gunshot wound.  The District Attorney built a whole trial around this decision.

Roberto Bayardo, Medical Examiner for Travis County - Robert Coscia, physician & trama medical director at Brackenridge Hospital

Dr. Terry Satterwhite, professor of medicine in infectious diseases - Dr. Charles Petty, professor in forensic pathology

Steven Beard's medical history.

Celeste had nothing to do with his illness or his death.  How can Celeste be convicted of murder.  Tarlton shot Steven without Celeste's knowledge.  Celeste did not collaborate with Tarton to shoot Steven.  Tarlton lied to get a plea bargain.  Celeste sat at the defense table, heavily medicated with the tranquilizer (Desyrel) to dull her senses, in addition to the medication she was taking to relieve the throbbing pain in her broken leg.  How fair is a trial when you are drugged with medications like this.

​     Tarlton suffered another rage episode before shooting Steven.  A convenient store worker called the police when he saw Tarlton try to run down a man in the parking lot of the store.  She bumped him and swung around to hit him again and the police stopped her.  It became a part of her police record.  This evidence was denied by the Court.

     An embolism occurs when an artery in your lungs becomes blocked.  Most clots originate in your legs but they can also form in arm veins.  Once you've had one pulmonary embolism, you're at increased risk of more, and many of these recurrences can be fatal.

​     High blood pressure in your lungs (pulmonary hypertension) can occur when a number of clots obstruct blood flow in the blood vessels in your lungs for months or years, making the right side of your heart work especially hard against great  resistance.  The most common symptoms are breathlessness when you exert yourself and general fatigue, fainting, dizziness, swollen legs or ankles and pressure or pain in your chest is also common when pulmonary hypertension becomes severe.  Steven Beard suffered all of these symptoms the last year of  his life.  He was in the hospital twice in September 1999 with dizziness and fainting.

​     Pulmonary arterial hypertension (PAH) is rare and is unfortunately, often misdiagnosed as asthma, just being overweight, etc., leaving some patients to struggle for years without treatment.  Many die before they get proper medication.  There is no cure, but there are several promising treatments available that allow most sufferers to lead reasonably normal lives.

Dr. Robert Coscia in October of 1999, he was the trauma medical director and took care of Steven Beard.  He testified, "Well, he had significant injury and he was at high risk.  We were --- had been treating him to prevent this.  He had been on medication to prevent this while he was in the hospital.  He was started on a low dose of heparin, which is a blood thinner, as soon as we possibly could after his first operation, and this was continued and I know he was receiving it at HealthSouth."  (Volume 21 pages 121 & 122)

The following is a list of Steven Beard's symptoms as recorded in the doctor's office or hospital:

​September 1996          Fainting in which he apparently fell from a commode, struck his head on the wall and had a

                                        laceration.  Blood alcohol level was .216.

October 1996                Light-headed if he stands abruptly or changes position.

​January 1997                 Judgement was poor, he had visual impairment, he was not very articulate and they had

​                                        trouble waking him.

November 1997            Fall and fractured back.

January 1998                 Slipped and fell in home.  Fractured spine.

​February 1998               Feels he's more short of breath even though the asthma not a problem, complaint of


June 1998                       Complained of shortness of breath traveling to Grand Tetons and Yellowstone.

August 1998                  Swelling over the instep of right foot and in the absence of any trauma or falling.

                                        Uric acid levels were elevated.

November 1998           Having shortness of breath walking around the house, getting dressed, bathing and walking

​                                        to the bathroom.  Not an abrupt change but gradually.  He had noted his breathing has


December 1998            Lab work.

March 30, 1999             Significant wheezing, been going on since he made an air trip to Dallas.

April 26, 1999                Shortness of breath on exertion.

​September 9, 1999       Utah trip - not functioning well mentally and physically, drowsy, less active.

​September 12, 1999     Found in the evening face down on kitchen floor.  Determined acute right lower pneumonia

​                                         which could have occurred by inhaling secretions.  Blood alcohol .168.

​                                         Left the hospital with dizziness.

​September 15, 1999     Found in the morning face forward on the table eyes open but not responsive (stuporous).

October 2, 1999             Tarlton shot Steven Beard in his stomach while he was sleeping in his bed.

January 18, 2000            Steven was discharged from HeathSouth to go home.

​January 19, 2000           Steven is readmitted to Brackenridge Hospital with a yeast infection of the scrotum and

                                         perineum, confusion, and sick.  Next day complained of chest pain.  Chest exam showed

​                                         rhonchi on the left side of the heart and right ventral block.  It progressed to tachycardia,

​                                         rapid heart beat, delirious, wheezing and his temperature spiked at the end of his life.

     Dr. Robert Coscia said, "The graft and ileostomy was doing well."

     Dr. Terry Satterwhite said, "The autopsy described redness around the ileostomy, but it doesn't sound significant."  He could not tell any infection was found where the shotgun pellets did their damage.  There was no rash around the wound or the ileostomy bag.

January 20, 2000           Steven's temperature was 99 which was normal, his pulse rate ranged from 94 to 107, 

                                         respiratory rate was 20 to 25, and blood pressure was 103 over 65.

     Dr. Terry Satterwhie said, "Those are just sort of baseline rates that he had during the first two days he was getting his skin condition treated."

January 21, 2000            3:30 p.m. temperature 102.5, pulse rate 129, respiratory rate 24, and his blood pressure

                                          128 over 74.

                                          8:00 p.m. They draw two sets of blood cultures which turned out to be group A streptococci

                                          that was in his blood stream.  The blood stream infection is very serious.  It's called sepsis.

                                          It was significant for Steven Beard because he was diabetic and had alcohol abuse in his body.

                                          He also had chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and heart disease.

January 22, 2000           Tried to talk with Steven this a. m. but he is having hard time talking.  Seems to have a delirium.

                                         5:00 a.m. Steven has severe sepsis.

                                         2:00 p.m. Steven has acute renal insufficiency which means his kidney is functioning at less

                                         than 70 percent.

                                         2:35 he has a cardiac arrest, he's found to be cyanotic, he goes from 160 to 60 to zero and is

                                         resuscitated unsuccessfully and dies.

     Cause of death, septic shock recorded at the hospital, but the autopsy was pulmonary embolus and ruled caused by the gunshot wound.  Steven entered the hospital with pneumonia stated by Dr. Bayardo, Medical Examiner of Travis County, Texas. 

     Question - But what you found in his lungs was a blood or blood clots, not infection.

     Answer by Dr. Bayardo - No, no, no, no.  I found bronchopneumonia, I already told you, that was around three days old.  So that's perfect.  That correlates what I saw with microscopic and with the naked eye.  The blood blots didn't develop until TWO hours before h is death.  (V. 23 p. 91)

     Dr. Corsia was asked, "To your knowledge did he, Dr. Bayardo, have those records" referring to the records from the hospital."  He answered, "I can't say categorically that he had the records, but when they do an autopsy, they are supposed to have the records from the hospital.  Dr. Bayardo DID NOT review any of Steven Beard's medical records.

     There are several conditions of the body that can causes clots to break loose and travel to vulnerable areas of the body in well people.  They are more apt to happen in older people.  Just a skip of a heart beat can cause clots.  Steven had many sources of clots in the last four days, so how can a clear-cut decision be the gunshot wound and the charge of Capital Murder.   Steven did not enter the hospital with blood clots in his lungs!



     In conclusion, Steven Beard died of natural causes.  He entered the hospital with a heart attach and contacted sepsis.  The hospital listed the cause of his death as sepsis.  The District Attorney's office tricked Tracey Tarlton into confessing and lying for fear of murder charges.  Tarlton would have received 20 years for injury to an elderly person.  She gained nothing for her lies.  Celeste's conviction was totally false because there was no murder and Celeste was never involved in the shooting.

​On October 6, 1998 the Chinese men in the above picture carried Steven in his wheel chair through the tour of the Great Wall of China.

     The special treatment at Brackenridge Hospital probably prolonged Steven's life an extra four months.  His many medical issues were subdued while the gunshot wound healed.  Steven lost weight and was forced to withdraw from alcohol.  The doctors used heparin, a blood thinner, to control his clotting.  Elise Beard, Steven's first wife died at 67, Steven F. Beard III, the oldest son, died at 61, and Becky Beard, Steven's daughter, died at 58.  Steven celebrated his 75th birthday before dying on January 22, 2000.